Pages

Friday, April 28, 2006

sleeping, memory, overworking

Not exactly looking for an excuse for my poor memory, I came across a science article that attempts to explain a correlation between sleeping and long term memory. Basically what it says is while one sleeps, the brains work to file away memories. As you may or may not know we humans only remember things for a very short period of time, somthing like 30 mins, so in order to be able to recall events from a much earlier time, sleeping aids the process in which a sequence of happenings for the day get transferred from a "RAM"-like storage to a "HDD". However if sleeping hours decline the ability to "back up" the daily data goes sharply downhill. That might explain why my long term memories often appear as if I've lived under water. That among other things carves me into the person who wants consistently to live in the moment, in moderation, paradoxically so.

The other day a student who happens to be a doctor commented on my vaction plan as "It should do you some good." Only then I realized I have been working a bit too much. You know when a doctor from the land of workaholics, quality issues aside, says you work too much, it's time to admit it. Six full days a week two of them from 10am to 10pm, it's been the least lazy one year.

No comments: