Pages

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Trouble in the 'hood

Niihama, Ehime, my Japan's hometown made national news today.
School principal hangs self over curriculum scandal

NIIHAMA, Ehime -- The principal of a high school hanged himself at his home, apparently over concerns about the nationwide curriculum scandal, officials said on Monday.

Police believe Hiroshi Masaoka, 60, principal of Niihama-Nishi High School in Niihama committed suicide.

Officials at the school said that Masaoka had been worried about a nationwide problem where students had to take supplementary lessons to make up for a shortage of credits needed to graduate.

"Students at our school didn't fail to take the necessary classes. But the principal was seemingly worried over related issues," one official said.

A total of 27 high schools in Ehime Prefecture have reported that their students failed to take the required classes needed to graduate. Niihama-Nishi High School isn't included in the 27 schools. (Mainichi)
Aren't you guys shocked?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!
actually I don't know Nishi, wonder if Jackie does?
I miss Niihama sometimes!
alison

kiki said...

OMG x er, loads! I can't believe this one either, although I suppose there is a fairly stong tradition of suicide being preferably to shame in Japan. Actually I was at Nishi Junior high, not the high school, so I don't know the guy, I think Jessie was at Nishi high when I was there. Somehow you know they will handle it by not mentioning it at all, so I'm sure the new jet wont even notice it, except for some quiet closing of doors. It's really sad though.

todd said...

Apathy as virtue, works in Japan.

I guess it musta been Dave (from Scotland, remember?) and Karen who went there.

Anonymous said...

It is Karen that goes there now. I am sure that she is lecturing the Japanese on the right way to kill yourself and how much better it is done in Jamaica.

todd said...

ha~

cut her some slack! ^_^