Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

gaijinhood

My gaijinhood is somewhat different from your run-of-the-mill westerner, because I ain't one. I'm an in-between. Nonetheless I did commit some typical foreigner's assholeness overall. I remember having had to remind myself to blink the first few weeks. I thought my little world was THE Japan experience. Now fast forward to 5 years later, boy was I wrong!

Here is a great quote:
Less than three weeks after I moved to Japan, I was invited to hanami with a bunch of my wife’s co-workers. She was a McEnglish drone, I confess, so that meant we were with a bunch of Brits, Yanks, Canucks, Aussies, and the odd Kiwi. It started to rain after a couple of hours, at which point we shuffled off towards an izakaya. As we hit the edge of the park, a totally pissed Brit passing by shouted…

“OY! That’s right, fuck off, you lot, this is MY Japan!”
Read the Seven Stages of the Gaijinhood

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post Todd, even though the circumstances are different for you and me, I too don't fall in the stereotypical "Anglo in Japan" category and that provides for a unique perspective. I like to think that our Niihama gang was pretty good about not being too garish in our gaijinhood, because I sure have encountered some "hen na gaijin" along the way. Of course, who knows ... people might say the same about me =)

todd said...

I'm guilty of being obnoxious the first year or so.