Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 Cayman

Back to one of my current favorites Porsche Cayman. 2010 model hasn't changed much. From 2009 on it's gained an option of an LSD, to me the absolute, single most important thing for a serious ride like this.



What's new 2010 Cayman (Cayman S)


I got my gloves on one, so here goes my firsthand review.
PROS
-PDK (Porsche double clutch) a breeze
-PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) real world useful
-allows you to go like stink (Mr Hyde mode- sport, sport plus)
-civilized, settles into city traffic (Dr Jekyll)
-really sorts it all out for you, got the tail slightly out? no worries
-great brakes, stop on a dime

CONS
-PDK (someone says it's the auto-manual that you can respect, but not love. I agree)
-price tag (in Japanese yen 9,500,000, ouch! same spec US? $70,000. That's $25k more expensive)

COMPARED to my S2000, it is/does
-better looking
-more prestige
-double the price
-faster, quicker (Cayman 0-100km, 5.8sec, Cayman S ->5.2, S2000 ->6.0)
-less raw (in the world of sports cars, raw is good*)
-beefier torque (S2000 famous for lacking low-end torque)
-feel properly expensive
-


*On the topic of raw being good, true as long as you're an enthusiast. Otherwise buttons like "normal" "sport", "sport plus" may suit you better. To me the sport mode is a bit of a gimmick, a nuisance, since I will only be on sport mode 24/7. If you however found yourself in a super car, e.g. Ferrari F430, it would actually be more useful.


...to be continued.

No comments: