Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

to mod or not to mod

....that is the question.

Honda S2000 ended its 10-year production run last year (2009 or Heisei 21). For an S model (S500, S600, S800 etc) it was considered successful. It's never meant to be a mass market highly profitable dime-a-dozen car. In fact we can't really be sure it was profitable for Honda until you factor in such intangibles like brand image. Now it begs the question- should I mod my last-production-year top-of-the-line S2000, or leave it as stock as possible, hence preserving the will of its designers (most importantly Uehara-san's).


If I decide to mod it (fully tuned in above pic)
good: more capable, personalized, more trackable
bad: expensive, not as clean, regrets 10 years down the road


If I decide against it (bone stock pic above)
good: very clean look, linear power delivery
bad: not tapping into its truest potential

Well I guess another choice would be going to Spoon (the best modder out there who knows Honda's balance) for some light tuning. Maybe that's what I'm going to do.

No comments: