Pages

Friday, January 06, 2006

Onsen 加仁湯


view from our room; up the mountains it took two buses, this is the second one, snow tires plus chain


from the main door, look closely you see me taking the picture.

I've been to one and a half dozens different onsens in Japan. This is by far the best one yet - Okukinu Kaniyu (奥鬼怒温泉 加仁湯) Japanese info English info

Personal experience: even from where I am at it takes over three hours and mostly on the expressway just to drive to the town near the onsen in Tochigi prefecture. Make sure you make a reservation before you go. I saw monkeys. They are too shy to bathe with us in the outdoor, just wandering from a distance. You can definitely hear them, though spotting where they are is less easy.

From Tokyo just take the Tohoku Expressway (東北道) via Shutoko (首都高).

Get off nearest Imaichi City (今市市) in Tochigi (栃木県).

Find Chokyu Onsen (長久温泉), take the bus from there and it will be another three hours up the mountain depending on weather. (e.g. snowy)


an overlook of Kaniyu

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

By a strange coincidence, I've been to the Kinugawa Onsen resort area, also in Tochigi, so I assume it was close to where you were. I love onsen, I have yet to find a more relaxing activity on Earth. And of onsen, nothing tops an outdoor onsen (rotenburo), especially with snow falling.

Part of me wishes there were onsen in the US, but something tells me we'd screw it up!

todd said...

there are outdoor and indoor spas in the US. If you look, they have facilities quite similar to tht of Japan. I've been to a couple in Vermont. probably not natural spring water but some have it. the outdoor ones pretty good for dates and relaxing too.

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful pictures! How'd you find out about the place?

I'll have to check out these spas here and see what we have. Something tells me there's not much in Ohio =)

todd said...

I took the top four pics, the bottom one I stole.

Kaniyu is listed in every onsen guidebook in Japan as one of the best. My friend whom I went with recommended it.

Ohio is a pretty big state with quite a bit a nature Im not surprised if you find a nice spa. Back then I needed fresh air I would run to the north, as opposed to NYC. I remember those usually go by half an hour or one hour rental which you can have a private bath, even open air.

Anonymous said...

hey,todd
im glad you had a great trip to onsen resort.i was worried about you a bit,coz xmas and new year holiday season is very hard for the people stay far away from their family.it was very hard for me too...and especially when it rains all the time.
i wish i could get in onsen here in canada too.thats i miss most right now.
hello charlie ,how are you doin?

Anonymous said...

Is that you Naoko? How's Canada? I'm doing fine, still going to school. Hopefully it's not as cold where you are as it is here!

Anonymous said...

hello charlie,im good in vancouver.cold is fine but raining every day is not fun at all!!!!take time to get used it.i hoipe you having great time too.

todd said...

Naoko, it's good to see you here. By the way is Naoki your nickname? I thought it was a boy's name. The holidays are especially hard to be alone. I managed though to find things to do.