Pages

Friday, March 10, 2006

6.5's

Roger Dodger (2002)
The opening boggles the mind. But from there on things go a slightly different way. A little less intellectual but almost equally amusing. Great acting and some more.

Broken Flowers (2005)
A financially sucessful man goes on a trip to examine his earlier love life. Murray is his typical self. I just wish Julie Delpy had more of a role. I think it's fair to say the soundtrack makes this movie.

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
Miyasaki's artwork is there (or more accurately, his direction of artwork style); his soul not. Fascinating entertainment seriously lacking depth. One could only wish. Six point five still for sheer visual stunts and creativity.

The I Inside (2003)
A brilliant little film. open mind needed. I couldn't care less about Ryan Phillippe but he does a decent job in this movie.

Crash (2004)
Very good and easier to understand movie trying to deal with a certain helplessness and deep-rooted prejudice. Movies like this need to reach a larger audience so it does what it's supposed to. It's literally not just black and white, the world is full of situations where values get stuck inbetween those two. Some fairly flawed plotlines. But worth a closer look.

The Girl in the Café (2005)
An interesting enough movie that talks about love and poverty. Well acted leads. The rest of it was tried but failed, just barely. Enjoyable. The somber tone with hints of cheerfulness works for me.

Melinda and Melinda (2004)
This Woody Allen's piece feels nothing more than a fully developed student film that shines a special light on the issues it discusses. Now, for a student, it'd be a great accomplishment. But coming from a master it only deserves a 6.5. The concept can't be simpler. It's up to the audience to grasp the depth of the theme. Or, it'd still be a great Sunday afternoon couch warmer.

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
I fought myself for a long while to put this one on 7+ or 6.5. It's a wonderful film, but seeing it after it was first released three years ago when I instantly wanted to see it but never got around to, spoiled it for me. I came to expect a bit too much. And then again I might be wrong. I'll probably give it a second viewing in a couple of years and if I like it better then I will bring it higher up my list.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)
Good coming-of-age movie for girls. I am not part of the target demographic, so I will try to be as impartial as possible. Judging from the movie and what other users have said about the two, go see the movie, then read the books. They are claimed to be much better. I really like positive teenager movies. It's so tough being a teenager, but people, mostly your own family, just don't appreciate it. Everybody should learn how to cry over and learn from her mistakes/pain, better when she has someone to do it with.

Closer (2004)
It leaves you thinking, mostly because seeing these likeable real life actors and the shitheads they play makes me sick. They all do such a good job which makes them real. Portman is sloppy at times. Law's Alfie (2004) came to mind, even though the two characters share very little in common. I like Portman so much but this movie she's the least good of the four.

(6.5 is the score I'd give on IMDb.com if half a point is allowed. 7 to me is a very good movie, so 6.5 is getting close but being a hair of a line short)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Every real life actor is likable but I do enjoy seeing the darkness that lies beneath.(even if that's as much a ploy as the 'sickness' is).

todd said...

I do too but it was just short of being a 7 of my own little standard. I thought it was well done nonetheless. I suppose I can round the 6.5 up.