Pages

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I've managed to procrastinate...

...until now. I want to write about my drive from Shikoku to Chiba. It was the end of February, beginning of March. It took me six days, through 16 prefectures. I slept in my car, in various internet cafes, and only had two luxurious nights in some cheap hotels. I am trying my best to remember, but my memory has a habit of deceiving me.

The route: (the entire way I used no expressway except the two tolled bridges)

Started from Niihama(新居浜市), Ehime(愛媛県), using Route 11,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

took Route 192 near the border of Ehime and Kagawa(香川県), through Tokushima(徳島県), then back on Route 11 in Naruto(鳴門市), Tokushima, got on Route 28 which led me to Ohnaruto Bridge (大鳴門橋, tolled),
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

over the bridge, I came to Hyogo(兵庫県), took the beautifully scenic Route 28, saw some of the best nature, got to Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge (明石海峡大橋, tolled),
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

over the bridge, took Route 2, past Kobe(神戸市), Hyogo, came to Osaka for the night, met up with Pat's girlfriend, Mami and her girlfriend, Hitomi,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

had dinner with and left the girls, I took Route 308, to Nara(奈良県), and slept the night in the montain just enetering the border of Nara, parked roadside near a what-I-came-to-believe abandoned school, quite a nice hide-out, afterall I drove for a good 12 hours,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

woke up at 8, barely slept, got back on road, took Route 369, drove into Nara City(奈良市), Nara, visited my four-legged friends, found myself a good onsen(温泉) in Nara City and had a refreshing start at driving again,
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

took Route 369, through Iga(伊賀市), Mie(三重県), then Route 25, Route 1, to Suzuka(鈴鹿市), Mie, visited world-famous Suzuka Circuit, not to be missed by any motorheads,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

took Route 1 again, left for Yokkaichi(四日市市), Mie, continued on Route 1, past Nagoya(名古屋市), Aichi(愛知県), settled the night into an Internet cafe in the suburb towards East,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

next morning, got up feeling like haven't slept at all, back on Route 1, decided to take a longer but coastal route, would see more near the ocean,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

once in Shizuoka(静岡県), decided to see the great Mt. Fuji(富士山), stopped at Fujimiya(富士宮市), Shizuoka, checked into a hotel and had my first sleeping night. In the hotel it was quiet so I specifically asked for a room with Mt. Fuji view, no extra charge,
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

woke up next morning with that pic up there, was delighted as ever, showered and packed for Mt. Fuji, snowy drive, got as far as I could, took half a day, got way past "Fuji Skyline"
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

left Mt. Fuji, took Route 139, from there I decided to go North, through Yamanashi(山梨県), briefly touched Southern tip of Nagano(長野県), to Gunma(群馬県),
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

If now you think I am nuts, you are absolutely correct. It was too snowy to go into those high altitudes, but I was determined to do some crazy shit! That is, to drive Mt. Akina(秋名山), Usui Pass (碓氷峠), and Mt. Myogi(妙義山)! I know it is a cartoon (Initial D), but I figured why not. I have no pictures for them. YOU TRY DRIVING THOSE MOUNTAIN PASSES AND TAKE PICTURES! LET'S SEE HOW YOU MANAGE!

So first up, Usui Pass: (damn twisty)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Then, I managed Mt. Myogi: (icy as hell)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Then I took Route 18 and got into town Akina(real name: Haruna <榛名町>), was too late to do anything, so I went to sleep in an Internet cafe outside of Haruna. They don't have one.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I woke up next day, back in Mt. Haruna and drove it like there is no tomorrow, to find out there were three runs, fairly far apart, had problem finding the right one.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Loved it, but it was time to go, took Route 17, past Saitama(埼玉県), finally to Tokyo, crashed at New Koyo (a budget hotel), said hi to Bobby (guy works there), driving into Tokyo City was a bitch.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The next day, I finised the last leg of the trip driving to my destination Chiba(千葉県).
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

road maps: Yahoo! jp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you meant Fujinomiya and not Fujimiya. Isn't Japanese fun.

-todd

todd said...

You're probably right. All I did was a direct translation from the kanji to English. So, Todd, where are you from? It's funny I always sign all my email and msg's with a dash and then small letters "todd" too. It's really really strange to see someone else does exactly that.