Pages

Friday, June 30, 2006

Murakami on stage

Rumor has it a stage-adapted Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is in the works. As I was browsing fuckedgaijin I came across this interesting piece of news originated from a Tokyo craigslist's job offer. Apparently a production team is hiring an assistant in Tokyo to work on the project.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle wouldn't be the easiest Murakami's work to be adapted into anything. It's long. It's complex. It's beyond expectations. It's meant to be disappointing. While it's not my top Haruki Murakami's novel, it's ranked pretty close up there with The End of the World and the Hard-Boiled Wonderland. Although my curiosity would probably get the better of me if it does make it into production.


The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle vol1, 2, 3


The End of the World and the Hard-Boiled Wonderland vol1, 2

3 comments:

kiki said...

Wow I can't even imagine how that's gonna turn out. And what exactly is a 'multi-media theatrical production' I wonder? And is it in Japanese or English? (performing in Tokyo and New York). You have sparked off more questions than you have answered Todd, not unlike a Murakami novel. I'm super curious because The wind up bird chronicle is my favourite Murakami novel. I'm currently in the middle of Kafka on the Shore, have you read it yet? It's thoroughly spooky as it's set in Shikoku, and therefore the perfect book for me to end my sojourn here with.

kiki said...

Oh and Todd, that sounds like a really cool job. You would be perfect. Are you going to apply?

todd said...

I'd apply but part of the requirement is to have fluent Japanese. so no go. ^_^