Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2006

not a soccer fan

However far-stretched I'm no soccer fan but the WC has been a great source of entertainment. Competitions between enthusiastic participants with comparable skills are always exciting.

A couple of days ago, I got home ready (a little alcohol, some snacks) for a do-or-die US vs Ghana match only to find that they'd rather show the other game on at the same time, Italy vs Czech. Can you blame them? We all know the US collectively doesn't care about "football", not that each US players didn't want to win as bad as the next country's. Although knowing all your countrymen are behind you provides the mental support necessary to advance. To make up for the disappointment I stayed up late enough to catch Japan's last glimpse of survival against Brazil. Quite obviously they blew it bad (1:4), as did the US.

Talking about WC in class, I was really surprised to hear from the majority of my students say that they couldn't care less if their national team's won or lost. Asian countries have got a long way to go to match the rest of the world in soccerness.

1 comment:

Tyra Banks said...

I'm not a fan of soccer either its just the World Cup eticed me and i got into it it, other than that I think its a not very cool sport