Pages

Monday, July 11, 2005

one day at a time

Recently I got excited about my summer plan - roadtrip to Hokkaido. I'll get two weeks for the summer break. A couple of teachers and I are sharing the driving as well as costs. Some camping would be great but we haven't decided on that yet. We'll probably play it by ear. What I am most excited about, however, is to complete my cross-Japan trip in a car paying no tolls (except bridges). Did my first half here. It will be a small feat.

I set goals, then I reach them. To some people these goals are certainly no big deal, but coming from where I'm from, I have had a few obstacles to overcome. I live by this golden rule: take it one day at a time. If tomorrow is the end of the world (or me), I'd have no regrets as to what I've been doing up to the very last second. Although sometimes I anticipate the end of the world a bit too much.

So far things that I have crossed out on my list (since Japan):
  1. visit the Great Wall of China. (emotional)
  2. teach in Japan.
  3. teach in China. (briefly but done)
  4. speak five languages with at least some proficiency.
  5. live in a foreign country, experience their culture.
  6. watch at least 100 movies in a year.
Things on my list that are yet to be crossed out:
  1. master's degree.
  2. teach in Hong Kong.
  3. live and work in Europe. (possibly Spain)
  4. settle down in ONE country. (if I live long enough)
  5. own a "real" car. (a driver's car)

No comments: