Pages

Sunday, November 06, 2005

quality has gone down

From an existentialist's viewpoint, the quality of posts has gone down dramatically. I've been preoccupied with more practical and immediate thoughts lately. For example, where I'll go after this job and what I'll do. I even thought about ending the contract early, which expires next March, when I'm quite sure I don't want to recontract. Not that the place is not pleasant, not particularly, but I think my Japan's honeymoon is truly over now I've been here for over two years. The whole Japan-ness, both intriguing and nauseating as ever, has got the better of me. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I am complaining about it, just maybe a breather is in order.

It's mostly substance over content. Someone ought to invent a waterproof computer for use in the bathroom. When that shower hits my head, somehow I think of the most interesting idea, metaphysical or not. Moments later it's gone just as swiftly.

I'm going to miss Japan bigtime. I'll sit down somewhere reminiscing the soon-to-be past. Japan will be one of the wildest things I'll have ever done. All the things I loved and hated.

Phases a typical gaijin goes through while in Japan:
  • First, 0 day - 3 months, every single thing in sight is amazing, pic-worthy.
  • Second, 3 months - 1 year, learns as much Japanese as possible, makes friends.
  • Third, 1 year - 2 years, an experienced Japaner, smart ass knows-it-all.
  • Fourth, 2 years - 4 years, crossroad, to stay or to go.
  • Fifth, 4 years - 6 years, if not yet marry a Japanese person, will soon.
  • Sixth, 6 years - 10 years, really mastering the language, owns own business or climbing the corporate ladder.
  • Seventh, 10 years onwards, why bother, stays for good.

Warning (three major cultural shocks):
right after the first phase;
right after the second phase;
and during the fourth phase.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on with the stages of gaijin-ness ... it is funny how most (but not all) people react to Japan similarly. Although, I'd probably say

"Sixth, 6 years - 10 years, really mastering the language, owns own business or climbing the corporate ladder"

is a little optimistic. Most of these guys are still ig'nant English teachers who think they know it all because they've been in Japan for so long (and like to stick up their noses at the "fresh off the boat" gaijin).

It would be interesting to get a woman's perspective too ... from my experience, VERY few make it past the "crossroads" stage. While you have many male "terminal gaijin" ... been in Japan 10+ years, Japanese wife, gone "native", acts indifferent about home country but secretly misses it ... I've run across few female.

Sounds like an interesting idea for a book, actually!

todd said...

huh, the 10+year "terminal" gaijin sounds like fun. I suppose there are those who're just stuck here against their will. can't go home since they're too used to Japan, nor can they make any career advancement. sucks to be them.

You're right about the woman's perspective. I haven't seen any females staying longer than 2, 3 years.

Write that book, Charlie! I'll pre-order.

todd said...

Bottom line it was fun when you were not working right? ^_^

I'll stick a knife into Japan's heart to see if she bleeds red blood, IF she were a person, when I leave. I'll find out.

Seriously, I'm looking for office jobs in auto industries at the moment. I thought I'll take a shot at that. I like teaching but teaching kids all day is not my thing. I'd much rather teach adults. That's why I think I was extremely lucky my first job was teaching Sumitomo, Matsushita, and Imabari Zosen's employees. You don't get that a lot in Japan anymore.

Then there is this school thing I always want to do. I really miss the US, otherwise HK will do. Not entirely sure. I'll let the bird flu decide I guess, in a way.