Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2005

shoes worn-out

I suspect the way I drive has worn out my pair of daily walkers/work shoes that have been with me for only one year. Especially the long drive to Hokkaido must have taken its toll on them. The left sole broke in the middle due to frequent and heavy quick steps on the clutch. The right shoe has taken a completely different beating, from tapping the gas and brake pedals. It's torn at the seam in the front from a hell of a lot lifting motion. I wonder how many people drive the way I do. I use long and short blips on the brakes, only step firmly when expecting a full stop. But a lot of the time I prefer lifting and easing off the throttle instead of actual braking. And there is always the choice of engine brake, although make very sure the driver behind you know your intention by blip-braking a couple of times.

As a result of these habits, my shoes are trashed in completely distinct manner separating left from right. Funny it sounds a bit like the US political sphere.

If anyone wants to take his/her car on a track day run, or just do some sporty driving, do not wear these shoes:

  • sneakers, especially basketball kicks
  • platform shoes, unless you're too short to reach
  • slippers, obviously
  • shoeless, obviously
  • shoes with slippy sloes or too worn for grip

Bottom line you got to be able to feel the pedals real nice. So an ideal pair of driving shoes have a sole that's rigid enough to offer support and thin enough for the driver to feel the pedals. Simpson makes some really great racing/driving shoes:

No comments: