Pages

Monday, September 12, 2005

one last time

Four years and one day ago was a tragic day that contributed to some rather sharp changes in my personal life. If you're an optimistic person you'll see optimism in just about anything, likewise with most any other personalities. Some events though have the affect of manifesting them.

I used to work in the municipal government district, which neighbors the financial heart of New York city downtown, during my three years and a few months with the agency. It's nothing dramatic, mostly just clerical duties. "The agnecy" sounds like, wow, a secret police organization. No. it's really just an office of the local public sector, with a lot of different locations. I loved flashing my city employee ID card that allows me access to restricted municipal buildings. I miss that. I did computer support plus purchasing for one year, as an intern, and finance for two years.

I did, as a result, have the chance to meet some interesting people like the two mayors, Giuliani and Bloomberg. No doubt they won't remember me. I also met my share of assholes. There was bureaucracy, and plenty of trumpery.

As those buildings came crumbling down, the debris hit me with an epiphany, although it took all of 2002 for it to completely sink in. A life is merely a blip in the infinity of the universe, one must go on to live everyday like it is his very last. So I left and started to chase something a bit more intangible.

The agency, went without any landline for half a year. Cellphones were assigned. The windows were shut tight for the entire fall and winter that followed, with air-conditioning left on. The air, suffocating for that period of time, has remained the same thereafter. The smell of the dead burning still lingers. We evacuated our building seven times within three months since that day. Everybody, while running down those 3000 steps, from the bottom of his heart, believed something will go off with a boom. But nothing did. Nothing. Ever. Did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toddo. Wallpaper fetish still going strong I see, I'm used to it now and becoming curiously fond of it. That post you just made me think of the old Todd maxim of living each day as if it were your last, and it kinda doesnt seem as if you are. Seems like you've put everything on hold, in the belief that your social self ostracism will lead to some indistinct reward in some distant future ut(odd)pia. Have you changed or have I missed the point?
J

todd said...

I measure "living like today's my last" by asking a very straightforward question. If today it all ends, will I be doing anything different? No. I will do exactly what I do right now.

I haven't put anything on hold. I might have isolated myself from almost everybody but I'm doing the things I love, all the way thru to the very last moment. I have always wanted to do what I do now. This feels right, although from time to time I need to stop and think in order to truly appreicate it.

People come as a bonus. When I meet someone great, like I did with you, it makes my life that much more colorful. Otherwise I still enjoy it, like I do now. The lack of social interaction is itself some kind of a reward. It gives me the much needed time to think. Nobody thinks as much as I do. Well, some people obviously do. But I put the big picture together, for myself. I'm trying to piece togther humanity and the universe, and everything in it. If I ever get a chance to write all my thoughts, in an organized fashion, down on a book. It might actually be of some value.

I have all the ingredients to be an introvert. But I also happen to enjoy company. Yes it doesn't really make sense. ^_^ but I also don't remmeber the last time anything that makes sense makes any sense to me. The future is always worth looking forward to.

Anonymous said...

I deel different. I think some events should change us, if not why bother going thru life at all. i think i feel more of a kinship with strangers now, and i also like dogs more. It's been hard, opressive, but things are getting better now
alison

Anonymous said...

that was meant to be i feel differently now......

todd said...

It's good to hear you're doing better. This might be too early to ask, but will any of your plans change?

Dogs get things done. Cats just sit there and watch. They're so cute tho.

todd said...

Yes it makes me wonder how backward the US is not being able to separate state and church. They say they do but they really don't.

How is life hereafter? Have you been going back to classes? Not in my lifetime did I think I'd ever say this, but I really, really miss going to school. ^_^